A successful marriage is the culmination of small efforts focused on showing love and appreciation every day.
The marriage certificate is a document issued by the Civil Registry that certifies the act. This document contains specific information about the date, time, and place where the marriage was celebrated.
How to Obtain My Marriage Certificate?
The marriage certificate can be acquired in person or online. Citizens can access the service in person by visiting a Civil Registry agency and obtaining a copy of the registry record or the full marriage certificate. Both are found in the Civil Registry archives.
People who can access this service are:
- Citizens married by civil ceremony.
- Citizens born in Ecuador.
- Users who have officially registered a domestic partnership.
- Family members of citizens who have died and whose demise has been registered in Ecuador.
- Applicant’s Identity Card.
- Payment receipt for the procedure; in this case, the cost of the procedure is $3.00. If the procedure will be executed by a third party, an additional fee of $2.00 must be paid for the request for third-party information.
- Approach the information counter, validate the information, and request the respective procedure.
- Pay the procedure fee, which can be done at the Civil Registry counter.
- Go to the certificate issuance module and wait for your turn.
- Confirm the certificate’s details.
- Receive your certificate.
- Visit the Virtual Civil Registry page at the following link: https://apps.registrocivil.gob.ec/portalCiudadano/index.jsf
- Log in with the user and password you created. If you don’t have one, you need to register a user.
- Select the required certificate option and add it to your cart.
- Indicate the number of certificates and choose the payment method.
- Once the payment is made, you can download the certificate.
An online-obtained certificate must be validated. To do this, follow these steps:
- Visit the certificate validation link: https://apps.registrocivil.gob.ec/portalCiudadano/valida.jsf
- Enter the certificate number located at the bottom of the document.
- Enter the code shown on the screen.
- Select “Validate” and verify the information displayed on the screen.
TRANSLATE YOUR MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE
The translation of marriage certificates is done under oath and is a common requirement for citizens moving to another country. In most cases, authorities may request a marriage certificate for purposes such as divorce, renting or buying property, among others. Therefore, if your marriage certificate is issued in a language different from the country where you wish to present it, you will need to have it translated into the official language of that country.
Sworn Translation of the Marriage Certificate
Sworn translations are official certified translations done by an official translator. They bear the signature and seal of the translator, ensuring their integrity and accuracy, and they have full international validity.
Procedures that require a sworn translation of the marriage certificate:
- Visa applications.
- Applications for nationality in your spouse’s country.
- International adoption procedures.
- Residence permit applications.
- Credit or mortgage applications abroad.
- Divorce legalization.
- And more.